Re: [RFC] EVM: Add support for portable signature format

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Mimi Zohar <zohar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-10-30 at 10:53 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> 2) It should be possible to write a policy that allows these files to
>> be arbitrarily modified, including being deleted
>
> File deletion is not the problem, but if we allow the file metadata to
> change, then the file verification will fail.

That seems reasonable? The policy may not be appraising all files, in
which case having verification fail isn't a problem.

>> I'd been interpreting "immutable" in this case to mean "the kernel
>> will never replace the signature with an hmac" rather than "the file
>> and protected information cannot be modified". If you think the latter
>> is necessary then I think we need two separate signature types and to
>> handle the two separately.
>
> EVM, up to now, is reactive to file data and meta-data changes,
> replacing the file signature with an HMAC.  For the new file signature
> to be immutable it needs to prevent security.evm from changing, which
> this patch currently does not do.

It prevents the kernel from modifying security.evm, but doesn't
prevent userspace from doing so. But if userspace does so,
verification will fail.