Re: Writing out EVM protected xattrs while EVM is active

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Mimi Zohar <zohar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-10-17 at 19:02 -0700, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>
>> Is this accurate? If there's no IMA policy that covers the file in
>> question (eg, appraise is limited to a specific security context or
>> owner), will IMA_NEW ever be set? It looks like that codepath will
>> only be entered if there's a rule that matches. The EVM xattr
>> protections appear to be called regardless, which means that there's
>> then no way to write out attributes on them at runtime.
>
> Updating/writing security.evm is triggered by writing or updating ANY
> file metadata included in the HMAC calculation.  There is no
> requirement for security.ima to exist.

In this case there's no symmetric key loaded, so security.evm won't be
updated. Here's what's happening:

1) Configure an IMA policy that only appraises a subset of files
2) Create a new file that does not match the appraisal rule.
IMA_NEW_FILE isn't set because no rule matched.
3) Attempt to write security.ima, security.capability and security.evm
on the new file. EVM blocks this because IMA_NEW_FILE isn't set.

I may be misdiagnosing this, but as far as I can tell IMA_NEW_FILE is
only set in ima_appraise_measurement() if action is set to something,
and if ima_match_rules() doesn't match then this will never be the
case?