Re: IMA appraisal against xz-compressed modules

On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 10:55 -0400, Bruno E. O. Meneguele wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently, while playing around with IMA modules check support, I notice
> that when the kernel was compiled/installed with XZ-compressed modules
> the IMA kernel infra returns -EACCESS on modules initialization. Let me
> detail a bit more:
>
> I created the policy file (/etc/ima/ima-policy) with
>
> measure func=MODULE_CHECK uid=0
> (... and more, policy file is attached)
>
> then rebooted the kernel (that was built with XZ-compressed modules) and
> a bunch of modules didn't load, e.g.:
>
> without ima-policy:
> # lsmod | wc -l
> 32
>
> with it:
> # lsmod | wc -l
> 14
>
> these 14 modules were all loaded during initram booting phase, but if I
> rmmod some of them and try to modprobe (strace output):
>
> init_module(0x55b9bcc9bba0, 17763, "") = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
>
> The point is that there is no violation, because the error occurs right
> after kmod calls init_module() and the call follows to ima_read_file()
> (kernel tree: security/integrity/ima/ima_main.c) which returns -EACCES,
> since there is no 'file' structure available (init_module uses memory
> region only and not file descriptor).

IMA hashes/signatures are stored as xattrs, which requires a file
descriptor.  IMA only supports the new kernel module syscall, which
provides the file descriptor.

> I notice this behavior using Fedora 26 (using SELinux as sec framework)
> and up-to-date kernel, the question is: should IMA kernel mechanism
> support memory regions integrity measurements, maybe following the steps
> that MODULE_SIGNATURE takes (that check for module signature through its
> mmap region), allowing compressed modules to be loaded? Or kernels built
> with XZ/GZ-compressed modules was never meant to be supported? Is it a
> bug or a possible enhancement?

If the IMA policy requires kernel modules to be signed, an appended
signature is permitted as long as the kernel is configured with
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_FORCE enabled.

Mimi