Re: Aw: Re: Re: tpm_tis_spi gets initialized long after IMA

On 2017-09-29 14:44, Peter Huewe wrote:
Hi Mimi, Hi Nayna,

The patch replaces the call to builtin_platform_driver(), with a call
to core_initcall().

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-4.8.y/drivers/clk/bcm/cl
k-bcm2835.c

static int __init __bcm2835_clk_driver_init(void)
{
return platform_driver_register(&bcm2835_clk_driver);
}
core_initcall(__bcm2835_clk_driver_init);

Ah it is already in the rpi sources - however I *am* using these, but
it does not work?
Any ideas or pointers highly appreciated.

Peter,

    I made TPM work on my RPI 3 Model B running a version of rpi-4.8.y.

    From the dmesg you provided in the previous email, there could be
    several possible reasons why the kernel is not detecting the
    TPM-SPI chip :

1. The SPI bus is not enabled on the Pi. You can use the raspi-config
       command with sudo.

          sudo raspi-config
           then select Advanced Options,
           then select SPI.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/raspi-config.md

    2. A node for the TPM chip is not properly added to the device tree.

3. A node is added to the device tree source, but it is not compiled into
       binary from.

4. The node is compiled, but you did not tell the kernel to use it during boot.

The binary overlay files (.dtbo) are placed under /boot/overlays.
        To activate the TPM overlay, place the line

            dtoverlay=tpm_tis_spi

        in /boot/config.txt.

But first make sure there is this file /boot/overlays/tpm_tis_spi.dtbo

Regarding device tree (points 2. and 3.), it is more involved and I did not have time now to give a detailed answer. But as a starter, besides the dmesg msgs in
    your previous email, did dmesg give any other message on TPM ?

Also, it is possible that TPM initialization was delayed but eventually completed at a later time during boot (although not in time for IMA). After the completion of the boot process, is there a /dev/tpm0 char special file (or /dev/tpm*) ?

 Pau-Chen