Re: RFC: Make it practical to ship EVM signatures

Hi Matthew,

[Cc'ing Mikhail Kurinnoi]

On Wed, 2017-09-27 at 15:16 -0700, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> These are basically untested, but I'd like to get some feedback on the
> problem I'm trying to solve here. We'd like to be able to ship packages
> with verifiable security xattrs, but right now EVM makes this difficult
> due to its requirement that the inode number be encoded in the hmac. This
> patchset is intended to make it possible to protect a subset of metadata
> rather than all of it, and also to permit using EVM digital signatures in
> a similar way to how IMA digital signatures can be used now (ie, protecting
> the metadata using public/private crypto rather than having a local
> symmetric key and generating the HMACs locally). The expected workflow is:
>
> 1) During package build or mirroring process, appropriate security metadata
>    is added (IMA hash, selinux label, etc)
> 2) An EVM digital signature is generated based purely on the security
>    metadata present during the build or mirroring process
> 3) IMA is extended to allow it to force EVM validation during appraisal even
>    if no symmetric EVM key has been added, which allows IMA appraisal to
>    appraise not only the IMA hash but also the additional metadata
> 4) If EVM is never enabled, binaries are purely validated using the EVM
>    digital signatures and are not transitioned to using HMACs
> 5) If EVM is desired, userland can set the set of metadata to be incorporated
>    into the EVM HMAC before enabling EVM

Earlier this year there were discussions on defining a portable EVM
signature, that could be included in software packages.

The reason for including as much metadata as possible in the HMAC is
to limit cut & paste attacks.  For this reason, the portable data is
only used in transmission, not on disk.

A new EVM type is defined that does not convert the EVM signature to
an HMAC.

Mikhail's patches:
https://sourceforge.net/p/linux-ima/mailman/linux-ima-user/thread/2017
0113072602.4ffaa30a@totoro/

I've been negligent in reviewing and testing his patches.  Perhaps
they will meet your needs.

Mimi