Re: Removal of cyttsp4 driver from mainline Linux kernel

Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hello Dmitry,

> On Fri, Aug 02, 2024 at 11:10:14PM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 02, 2024 at 11:08:51PM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > cyttsp4 touchscreen driver was contributed by Cypress in 2013 and since
>> > then has seen no updates. The driver uses platform data (no device tree
>> > support) and there are no users of it in the mainline kernel. There were
>> > occasional fixes to it for issues either found by static ocde analysis
>> > tools or visual inspection, but otherwise the driver is completely
>> > untested.
>> >
>> > Should it be removed?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> And of course vendor email is bouncing...

I contributed that driver because was working at the time on upstreaming
support for the OMAP3 Nook Color eReader from Barnes & Noble, but never
made that much progress on it. And even though I still have that tablet,
it has been in a box for more than a decade so unlikely I'll ever do it.

> Sound like a good reason to drop it.  If anyone needs it back it can be
> reverted and fixed up easily then.

Agreed.

--
Best regards,