Issue with psmouse Kernel Module and Trackpoint Drift Correction

Hello,

I'm experiencing an annoying issue with the psmouse kernel module on my Gen3 T14 ThinkPad, which uses an Elan Trackpoint. When I hold the trackpoint in one direction for about 5 seconds, it seems to recalibrate to a new center spot. Consequently, when I release the trackpoint, the mouse cursor moves in the opposite direction for about 5 seconds.

I've tried to disable this feature by adjusting the module parameters (resync_time, resetafter) through various methods including udev, modprobe, and sysfs, and even by modifying the source code. However, none of these adjustments have changed the behavior, though sensitivity adjustments seem to work as expected.

I've dipped into the psmouse source code, which is a over my head, and changed default values for the parameters, recompiled the module, and reloaded it, to no avail. I'm beginning to suspect these parameters do not control the recalibration "feature". modinfo does state that setting both parameters to 0 should disable them, but this has not resolved the issue.

I've confirmed it's likely a psmouse issue, having replicated the problem on a minimal system setup without a desktop environment or libinput, using only evtest. I even tried modifying TP_DEF_DRIFT_TIME in trackpoint.h out of pure desperation.

Is there any way to fix this issue, or could someone provide more insight into what exactly these parameters (resync_time, resetafter) control?  Also where can I change the length of time that the recalibration occurs.  If the recalibatron where a longer period I doubt I would hold it for the length of time it takes to trigger the recalibration, but 5 seconds gets in the way of fine control of the trackpoint.

My setup is debian sid, gnome on wayland, debian kernel 6.7.9 and 6.8.7 built from source.

Thank you for your assistance,

Tom
tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx