Re: Elantech touchpad not working on mainline kernels

On Wed, 2021-07-21 at 10:48 -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 2:12 AM Hans Schultz <
> hans.schultz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I have a problem getting my Elantech touchpad to work with the
> > mainline
> > kernels, and I need some assistance with the code to resolve the
> > problem.
> > The kernels that have tried are 5.9.11 and 5.11.11.
> >
> > With boot parameters i8042.notimeout i8042.nomux, the touchpad is
> > detected but does not work. There is absolutely no response from it
> > with any hid modules loaded.
> >
> > It is reported and seen working on a Lubuntu distro (bionic kernel)
> > when inserting the i2c_hid module. The insertion of the i2c_hid
> > module
> > pulls in the hid_multitouch module when it works, no boot parameters
> > necessary.
> > In the case where it does not work, insering the i2c_hid module does
> > not pull in the hid_multitouch module.
> >
> > I have the bionic kernel code, but I have not as of yet been able to
> > detect what makes it work in contrast to the kernel.org kernels.
> >
> > This I think should lead to a kernel patch.
>
> There is not much to go on with. What is the hardware, your kernel
> .config, dmesg from unsuccessful boot? If you have logs from the
> working kernel that would help too.
>
> Thanks.

The best info I have on the hardware is from Xorg log with the working
Lubuntu kernel:
[ 130.980] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
[ 130.982] (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 130.982] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for '0X45 0X4C 0X41 0:00
04F3:308C Touchpad'

I might be able to get the kernel messages when inserting the working
module, but I think it will not tell much more.
To me it is clearly a code issue as the working kernel pulls in
hid_multitouch when inserting i2c_hid, while the non-working does not.

All kernels I have tried up to now from kernel.org do not work. The
latest being 5.13.4.