Re: fn-key issue with hid_apple and keychron keyboards

Hi Hans et al,

On 23.06.21 16:16, Hans de Goede wrote:
[...]
Thank you for the logs and sorry for being so slow to respond.

no worries, thank you for working on that issue.

So looking at your evemu-record output, the keyboard is actually
behaving like a real Apple keyboard when put in Mac. mode.

This means that you should be able to send a "F1" keypress without
specifying any module parameter at all by pressing "Fn + F1" when
the keyboard is in Mac mode.

IOW in Mac mode everything should work fine, except that you may not
like the default behavior of F1-F12 being to send "multi-media" key
events instead of just plain "F1" - "F12" (and that you can change
with the fnmode=2 module parameter).

Since the keyboard is also using an Apple vendor- + product-id code
when in PC mode, things won't work as well in PC mode though since
then the "Fn" key likely does not actually send an event to the
machine to which the kbd is connected, causing the keys to be
stuck in "multi-media" mode regardless of the Fn key state
since when Fn is not pressed this is the default behavior and when
Fn is pressed then the key-press gets reported on the second
interface / device as a multi-media key-press.

This is really all the fault of the kbd-manufacturer, it should
really use different (non Apple) vendor- + product-ids when in
PC mode.

So the reason why I asked for the descriptors is to see if there
was some way to distuingish this keyboard from real Apple
keyboards, but I've already found a way to do that:

# Properties:
N: Keychron Keychron C1

The "Keychron Keychron C1" here comes from the USB device
strings; and we can use that to tell that we are dealing with
this Apple clone.

So now the question becomes what to do with this info though.
As I already said, I believe that in "Mac" mode all is working as
it should.  The problem is the "PC mode", the only thing which
I can come up with is to make fnmode=2 the default on this keyboard,
since that will also work in Mac mode (albeit different as on real
Mac keyboards) while also working in PC mode.

Does anyone (including you, Bastian) has any opinion on making
fnmode=2 the default on this keyboard model ?

If i understand you correctly, you're saying you cannot make the fnmode depend on the Mac- or PC-mode that the keyboard is currently running on? I mean that would be of course the best solution, but if that is not possible I'd prefer the fnmode=2 switched on by default as this is not a Mac keyboard AND this is not an Apple operating system.

Thanks again Hans and take care,

Bastian