behaviour change for keyboards introduced by "HID: generic: create one input report per application type"

Hello linux-input,

We have noticed a recent behavior change introduced by the commit:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/f07b3c1da92db108662f99417a212fc1eddc44d1
HID: generic: create one input report per application type.

We have been looking into the behaviour of the Microsoft Designer
keyboard. Prior to these patches, the keyboard would report as a
single input_device to the user space. After these patches, the
keyboard is now split into 2 input devices: “Designer Keyboard
Consumer Control” and “"Designer Keyboard Keyboard". We noticed that
this behavior also applies to the keyboard Dell KB216. In the Dell
case, it is split into 3 devices, which include “Consumer Control”
(for some of the media keys) and “System Control” (for the sleep
button).

In both Microsoft and Dell cases, these are pretty standard keyboards,
although they do contain media keys and power/sleep keys.

Could you please confirm that this new behaviour is indeed
intentional, and that you wanted keyboards to be split in this
fashion?

Thanks,
Siarhei