Re: Hotkey activation of a HID function

You understand it exactly right.

From what I have gathered, the keyboard (using Consumer page - as on page 75 of the HID usage table) sends the usage 0x50, currently marked as reserved. Other than possible overhead for looking the right HID up every time the key is pressed, I don't believe it will cause any major conflicts.

All the best,

On 2020-01-17 8:15 a.m., Jiri Kosina wrote:
On Mon, 30 Dec 2019, Pavel Balan wrote:

I am currently in the process of writing a driver for a laptop backlight
peripheral. It takes a HID feature request to activate - and according to the
way it works in Windows (thanks to pre-installed software packages), the
driver activates it on receiving a hot-key combination.

Is there a paved, proper way to implement that functionality - provided the
built-in keyboard and the backlight are two separate devices?
Hi Pavel,

just to make sure I understand your question correctly -- you would like
to know how to cleanly implement this scenario: once some special hotkey
is pressed (is that a HID device? What usage / code mapping does the
hotkey press produce?), create a HID report and send it to the device.

Correct?

It really depends whether that hotkey is something standard, or something
vendor-specific.

Thanks,