I2C HID incomplete report + misc debugging questions

Good day all,

I'm trying to create drivers for a device connected over I2C HID (a laptop backlight). Here are two things I would like to know:

1. The device, as it seems, hangs up for a few seconds on every un-suspend or boot. The following line is repeated:

[    5.667145] i2c_hid i2c-ITE33D1:00: i2c_hid_get_input: incomplete report (2/4)

Is there a pre-made I2C quirk I can toggle that solves that sort of problem, or would I have to dig deeper?

2. My workflow for working with USB devices was to modprobe the new driver in, then disconnect and reconnect the device again. A different approach is probably needed in this case, though I'm not yet sure which. Any recommendations? Possibly a way to get hidraw, if such exists?

Thanks for the help.