Re: How to make sure touchpad doesn't use psmouse.ko?

Hi Kai-Heng,

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 9:45 AM Kai-Heng Feng
<kai.heng.feng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When we are enabling a new hardware, sometimes touchpad may still use psmouse.ko due to bugs or missing IDs.
> Is there a way to quickly to determine the touchpad doesn't use psmouse but something like SMBus or HID over I2C?

Quick answer: no :)

For HID over I2C devices, they have to be included in the DSDT, so we
can detect those at the ACPI level, and they should automatically bind
to i2c-hid, if the dependencies are in place (available I2C adapter
and correct IRQ driver/binding).
The problem we have here is that we can not unbind the psmouse.ko
binding because we can not make the connection between the 2 bindings
from a HID or PS/2 point of view. They appear as 2 distinct mice.

For SMBus devices, currently only Synaptics and Elan have a SMBus
binding. And this is vendor specific to know if the SMBus binding will
be available and working.
In the Windows world, they do not have this question: every laptop
ships its own touchpad driver that has this information hardcoded or
put in the ini file.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers,
Benjamin