Re: Possibly -next regression from "Input: allow drivers specify timestamp for input events"

Hi John,

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 02:54:17PM -0700, John Stultz wrote:
> Hey Atif,
>   I was testing today's -next with AOSP on the HiKey board and was
> seeing some odd mouse behavior and I've bisected the issue down to
> commit 3b51c44bd693 ("Input: allow drivers specify timestamp for input
> events").
>
> In the logcat log I'd see a number of:
>  I InputDispatcher: Dropped event because it is stale.
>
> Usually it would seem like flings weren't really responding right, and
> then the UI would basically freeze for awhile (even though the mouse
> cursor could still move around, the UI was just ignoring new input).
>
> Just skimming the patch, It seems like maybe we're hitting:
>
> if (!ktime_compare(dev->timestamp[INPUT_CLK_MONO], invalid_timestamp))
>
> check and the device timestamp (at least occasionally) isn't
> zero/"invalid" but also isn't actually correct.
>
> If I comment out that check, and always call input_set_timestamp(dev,
> ktime_get()), the issue seems to go away.
>
> Do you have any suggestions for me to try?

Ah, of course, once we hit it first time, we set the timestamp, and then
it will become stale.

I guess we need zero-out the timestamp on input_sync(). Can you please
try doing that?

Thanks.

--
Dmitry