Re: PROBLEM: Race between upload and playback in ff-memless

Hi Jiri,

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 10:48:31PM +0200, Jiri Dvorak wrote:
> Hello
>
> [1.] One line summary of the problem:
>
> Race between upload and playback in ff-memless
>
> [2.] Full description of the problem/report:
>
> If update of already playing force effect is quickly followed by
> effect stop in ff-memless based driver, the hw force might be not
> stopped.
>
> What I think is going on: When ml_ff_upload processes started effect,
> it will clear the FF_EFFECT_PLAYING bit and schedule timer. If
> ml_ff_playback is called to stop the effect before the timer runs, it
> will see cleared bit and directly clear the FF_EFFECT_STARTED bit
> instead of doing the full abort so the hw force is not updated unless
> there is another effect of the same type.

I wonder if we can't simply leave the FF_EFFECT_PLAYING flag as is when
updating an effect. Although we still may skip over them in
ml_get_combo_effect() is play_at is in the future. Should we immediately
stop updated effects?

Anssi, do you still remember anything about force feedback?

Thanks.

--
Dmitry