Re: Goodix Stylus Support

Hey,

On Sat, 2019-01-05 at 16:54 +0100, Andreas Gohr wrote:
> The One-Mix Yoga 2 comes with a Goodix touchscreen that basically
> works with the goodix input driver (apart from the problems with
> wakeup from suspend I wrote about earlier).
>
> However on Windows there is also support for an (active) Stylus with
> 2048 pressure sensitivity levels. With the current goodix driver this
> is completely unsupported. The pen is simply recognized as a finger.
>
> I noticed that goodix themselves provide multiple repositories:
>
> https://github.com/goodix/goodix_gt9xx_public
> https://github.com/goodix/gt9xx_driver_android
>
> And from what I can see in the code they seem to support the stylus.
> Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough to get those drivers
> working on Linux and their documentation is sparse.
>
> From what I can see, their code is GPL licensed. Could it be merged
> with the goodix driver?

The goodix driver that's currently in the kernel is based off an old
driver that Goodix didn't try to get upstream. Their driver and my
version diverged as mine was cut down, and retooled to match the
expectation of code quality for upstream drivers.

There was also an internal driver at Intel, some of the features of
which were intended to be upstreamed, but there were no follow-ups on
the patches.

As it stands, I don't have any working hardware that uses the Goodix
driver (the one tablet I had has a swollen battery, and the textured
back has gone sticky), so, as you can expect, even less so of a device
with pen support.

If somebody sends me hardware that I would actually use day-to-day with
those features, I might actually look at adding support for the pen.

Cheers