Re: [RFC] Dell XPS 15 multitouch touchpad

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 10:41 AM René Rebe <rene@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 07 Jan 2019, at 10:06, Benjamin Tissoires <benjamin.tissoires@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Well hid-generic is loaded and it gives a rudimentary pointer, but not hid-mutitouch.
> >
> > So when you added the ID in the hid_have_special_driver[] list,
> > hid-generic was still loaded?
> >
> > Can you do a hid-recording of your touchpad with hid-recorder found in
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libevdev/hid-tools [1]?
> >
> > This way I'll be able to see and replay the issue locally.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Benjamin
> >
> > [1] there is a C version at
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/bentiss/hid-replay/ but the python one
> > also parses the input in a human readable format.
>
> How early do you need this, I guess from the initrd?

As long as the device is presented to the user space, you are fine. So
log in normally and run hid-recorder as root.
However, the device needs to be bound to hid-generic or
hid-multitouch. If bound with hid-generic, you should see mouse
events, and if with hid-multitouch, you should see multitouch events
:)

Cheers,
Benjamin