Re: No multitouch with touchpad "ITE Tech. Inc. ITE Device(8910)" ID 04f3:074a

Hi Benjamin,

[ Sending this with cc to kt.liao in the hope that he can chime in.
This is about a touchpad with USB id 04f3:074a on the Medion S2218
that works as multitouch on Win10, but only shows up as a
single-click mouse in Linux. ]

"udevadm info -e" does not return any ACPI id for this touchpad, so
this isn't a case like commit 6f88a6439da5d94de334a341503bc2c7f4a7ea7f.

I had ignorantly tried adding the USB id to hid-elan.c with
{ HID_USB_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_ELAN, 0x074a) }
but that didn't work. hid-elan.c responds with
"Input device is not registred" (sic).

So per your request I ran Win10 on an emulated qemu box (it's
amazing that the Z3735F supports kvm, but boy is it sloooow) and
got usb passthrough and capture going.

The touchpad hails in Windows as "Elan Smart-Pad" connected to USB.
The driver calls itself "ELAN 11.7.11.14_X86_WHQL".

The Elan-branded support application to configure the touchpad in
Win10 does not give any additional hardware revision information
about the device.

I've tried to make sense of the .pcap file, but my knowledge of the
USB HID protocol is still limited. The capture shows that the device
keeps sending its HID report descriptor upon request, but for each
request in my capture, it sends the same one, although I used it as
a multitouch device during the capture session.

So there is no obvious mode switch to a different HID descriptor,
at least it isn't visible to me when looking at it in wireshark.

Let me know where I shall send the USB .pcap wireshark file. I assume
that you rather want it sent to a bug tracker issue or direct mail.

Kind regards & thanks,

Hanno