Re: Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire Not Detected Sometimes

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 2:41 AM Dmitry Torokhov
<dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On August 19, 2018 4:23:25 PM PDT, BrutalTiger <sachneeth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >I own a Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire keyboard. Sometimes when I boot up my
> >computer, my keyboard doesn't get detected. Sometimes, a basic set of
> >LED's
> >will flash, but I can't type and the caps lock indicator doesn't work.
> >Other times, no light comes at all. Through all of this, my mouse
> >always
> >works.
> >This issue has been happening on every single distro I've tried. Here's
> >list of some of the popular ones I've tried and had this issue with.
> >Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, Fedora, openSUSE (Tumbleweed and Leap),
> >Solus,
> >Arch, and Manjaro.
> >One thing that sticks out about all of this is that my keyboard was
> >working
> >completely fine from either February-March or March- early April. The
> >only
> >major event that happened through here was the transition from Linux
> >4.15
> >to Linux 4.16. During this period, the distro I used was Fedora
> >Workstation
> >27.
> >Also, on all of these distros, I've tried the unofficial Corsair
> >keyboard
> >driver named "ckb-next." This didn't fix the problem, but it does let
> >me
> >set macros or change the keyboard's colors.
> >Thank you for reading, I hope you can find a fix.
>
> Let's see if good folks at Linux-input have some idea.
> Thanks.

I do have a K70 RGB LUX, and sometimes experience similar issues.
There is nothing that strikes me in the HID tree between v4.15 and
v4.16. The most noticeable change was the removal of the
hid_have_special_driver requirement, but this has never been an issue
with these keyboards as they are handled by hid-generic.

There was a change in the v4.12 kernel that made sure Linux doesn't
try to initialize the reports, and this is the root of the problems we
have with the Corsair keyboards.

If you were using ckb-next, there is a chance you upgraded the
firmware of the keyboard, and this might have led to more issues.

Anyway, all I can say is that it seems the keyboard firmware is rather
picky on how it gets initialized, and I also need to unplug both USB
plugs to make it alive again. Unfortunately, on my system, it seems
the UEFI/BIOS or grub sometimes even trigger the firmware bug, and
this is when Linux can't make the keyboard back.

One other lead would be to check with USB auto-suspend. IIRC there was
a change recently, but I would have said it was before v4.16.

I personally dropped the ball regarding these issues as I consider
this to be a firmware issue. However, if you remember having no issues
with 4.15, it could be interesting to reinstall such kernel and run it
a few days to see if you experience the same bugs.

Cheers,
Benjamin