Re: Proposal to support pressure sensitive "analog" buttons in evdev

On Tue, 2018-07-31 at 18:57 +0000, Roderick.Colenbrander@xxxxxxxx
wrote:

<snip>
> For me the question is what is the difference between a 'pressure
> sensitive button' and an 'axis'? At a high-level they are similar,
> but
> does one need extra APIs for best support?

3 things I think:
- you don't have a concept of "not pressed" for an axis. Sure it has a
resting/default position, but you have to encode that press boolean
somehow
- axis wouldn't be able to support something like the GameCube trigger,
which has a click when pushed down fully. I don't know how this is
encoded, and whether this is just a higher value for the axis, or
actually sends that data out.

I'm guessing you plan on sending both the analog and digital value at
the same time to user-space, if so, we really need a way to match
corresponding analog buttons with their digital counterparts, otherwise
user-space will have difficulty handling devices with a mix of digital-
only and analog-capable buttons.

Does that make sense?

If you want to decant the API a bit quicker, it would be great if you
also ported, say, the PS3/PS4 joypad driver, and had a patch to evtest
available. Then user-space developers would be able to test the API
before it lands fully in the kernel.

Cheers