Re: Reporting high-resolution scroll events

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 at 21:40, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 03:50:32PM -0700, Harry Cutts wrote:
> > On the high-resolution axes, movement would be reported as the distance moved by
> > the user's finger, in 256ths of a millimetre. For a wheel this would be
> > calculated using the radius of the wheel and the angle through which it has
> > turned. While it might seem more intuitive to report the angle that the wheel
> > has rotated, this would require the user-space library to scale the values to
> > account for the size of the wheel, as otherwise mice with very small wheels
> > would seem to scroll very fast. (See "Alternatives considered" below for more
> > discussion of this.)
>
> I really like defining it through mm instead of an angle, I wish I'd have
> thought of that for libinput. Having a fixed physical reference defined as
> part of the axis is great because it removes the need for EVIOCGABS
> equivalents on the REL axis. The question is: where is the resolution stored
> and how or whether it is reported. You could get away without exposing it to
> userspace at all but you'd then remove the notion of a "wheel click" on that
> axis. Userspace would have to match the highres motion with the REL_WHEEL
> data to guess how much motion constitutes a click. Or just accept that world
> has changed and wheel clicks are out of fashion now :)
>
> That's not bad, but it should be noted somewhere that this changes the
> notion of scroll wheel axes away from the traditional clicks. Mostly
> pointing this out to make sure that that is the intention here.

Good point. Yes, there won't be a notion of a "click" on the high resolution
axes, although if something in userspace wants "clicky" behaviour they can
always look at the legacy low-resolution axes instead.

> > After these events we have an accumulated remainder of 4 left. We should
> > probably also store the timestamp of the last scroll event, and discard the
> > accumulated remainder if it was last added to some time ago (maybe 100ms).
>
> remainders are tricky. Small movements can happen within the treshold
> boundaries or across the threshold and produce different results.
>
> Assume the above 8 threshold level and assume a continuous movement up/down
> by 5 units. Start with a remainder of 2 and you get 7/2/7/2/7/2 - userspace
> gets high res up/down events but no REL_WHEEL.  Start with a remainder of 5
> and you get 10/-3/2/-3/2/-3 - userspace gets both high res and REL_WHEEL
> events for every transition across the threshold. Since the remainder isn't
> visible, it's hard to predict for the user.

I'm not sure I understand your examples. Maybe I wasn't clear in describing my
method. In the first, the method I described would send a REL_WHEEL event for
every other REL_WHEEL_HI_RES event (when the remainder exceeds 8), which
approximates the scrolling speed (5/8ths of a notch per event) pretty well. In
the second example I think the remainder should be 2/7/4/1/6/3, which does give
a different pattern of REL_WHEEL events.

> This is a general problem with click-less wheels anyway and not a killer,
> but do add this to the TODO list of things to sort out in case it's not
> already on there.
>
> Resetting the remainder on directional changes is probably the easiest
> solution here but the usefulness depends on whether the data can be messy
> (i.e. whether wheels can send unintended negative scroll events).

This is something I want to experiment with once I have a preliminary solution
working; I should have labelled my example here as more of a rough idea than a
fixed method. The mouse I've tested so far (the Logitech MX Master 2S) only
sends +1 or -1 for each event (with events being more frequent), which would
mean that cases like this wouldn't happen, but there certainly could be mice
which behave differently.

> > Using distance moved instead removes the need for the user-space library to
> > scale for the wheel size. It does require the device driver to know or guess the
> > wheel size. For devices which do not expose this in any way (which is all of
> > them, as far as I know) the driver can either look the size up in a hard-coded
> > table or assume a sensible default.
>
> tbh, my hopes for drivers getting this always right are ... limited, so
> we'll end up with a hwdb-like quirk database *somewhere*. Because six months
> after you added the driver for the ACME Supermouse, the newly released
> Supermouse 2 can use the same driver but has a different resolution.
>
> So - either a kernel update for everyone or a userspace quirk through the
> hwdb. The latter is a lot easier to handle but it requires an ioctl.

Yes, I definitely see your concern here. I will add ioctls for setting this
factor (as well as the resolution factor used when sending the REL_WHEEL
events).

> So summary:
> * mm instead of angle is good
> * having 1/256mm as fixed base resolution is good
> * we need an ioctl to fix/correct some devices
> * we need "implementation-defined" remainder handling

What do you mean by "implementation-defined"? Defined by the driver
implementation?

> > [2]: Citation: "Porting Source to Linux: Valve’s Lessons Learned", NVIDIA,
> > retrieved on 2018-07-11 from
> > https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/akamai/gamedev/docs/Porting%20Source%20to%20Linux.pdf

Thanks,

Harry Cutts