What to do about hid-dr.c?

Hi there,

the "Speedlink Strike" gamepad reports back as

>   idVendor          0x0079 DragonRise Inc.
>  idProduct          0x0006 PC TWIN SHOCK Gamepad

and the hid-dr.c driver works with it, force feedback rumbles just
fine. Thanks!

But buttons are wrong when compared to gamepad.rst - so I tried to add
a remap function to the driver, but stumbled over something.

The driver supports two product ids,

0079:0006
0079:0011

While researching into these device id, it appears that these are
notorious for being unhelpful. Manufacturers reuse these two
vendor/product ids for different controllers with vastly different
shapes, sizes, buttons and stick configurations. There are controllers
using these two product ids in

Dualshock style, N64 style, NES style, etc...

So it appears that fixing the button mapping for my gamepad will break
things for others with their different products using the same hardware
id.

What is the proper way to deal with this situation?

Just leave it as it is and let button configuration be done by the
application, e.g. RetroPie?

Thanks,

Hanno