Support for touch controller ILI2511: Integrate into ili210x or new driver ?

Hi,

I'm currently working on supporting the Ilitek ILI2511 touch controller
in mainline. The 2 choices I have are:

a) Try to integrate the ILI2511 support into the existing ili210x
   driver

or

b) Create a new driver for ILI2511 which might be suitable for other /
   future Ilitek controller

Looking at alternative a), ili210x seems to be pretty unused and in not
real good shape (only supporting platform-data, not using devm_ calls,
not using threaded interrupts etc...). I could enhance this driver but
my main concern here is, that I have no chance to test this driver on
the currently supported chips.

Alternative b) sounds more promising to me. Especially since ILI2511
supports touch protocol v3.x (Ilitek naming), which is quite different
from the currently supported protocol.

What's your recommendation here? Is it okay to go with adding a new
driver, perhaps named something like ili2xxx?

Thanks,
Stefan