Re: Trackpoint not found when loading psmouse before rmi_smbus

Hi Damjan,

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 4:46 AM, Damjan Georgievski <gdamjan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is tested on X1 Carbon (gen 5)
> pnp id: LEN0072
> kernel 4.15.0
>
> Since by default psmouse complains about
> "synaptics: Your touchpad (PNP: LEN0072 PNP0f13) says it can support a
> different bus....",
> I've patched the kernel to add the pnp id to smbus_pnp_ids in
> drivers/input/mouse/synaptics.c [1],
> and the trackpad seems to work at least a  bit smoother (it could be
> placebo though).
>
> But, with the default setup, and rmi_smbus and psmouse are both
> compiled as modules, the trackpoint device never appears in dmesg.
> I can make it appear if I put rmi_smbus in /etc/modules-load.d/ so it
> loads before psmouse, or if I unload psmouse and load it again.
>
> I can even reproduce it by unloading both rmi_smbus and psmouse, and
> then only loading psmouse
> (psmouse seems to load rmi_smbus and switch the trackpad to it but the
> trackpoint is lost)

Please try with these patches:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dtor/input.git/commit/?h=next&id=a1ab69021a584d952e6548a44b93760547b1b6b5
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dtor/input.git/commit/?h=next&id=6abe534f0776d2437c8302f58d8eb5abd483e926