Re: xps 15 9560 touchpad high interrupts

Hi Javad Karabi,

On Mon, Jan 01, 2018 at 05:18:00PM -0600, Javad Karabi wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 12:14 AM, Baruch Siach <baruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> uname -rv
> >> 4.15.0-rc5 #2 SMP Thu Dec 28 18:21:06 CST 2017
> >>
> >> for what its worth, i think it might be hid_multitouch that is handling the
> >> touchpad, since when i rmmod it, my touchpad is no longer active.
> >
> > The hid-multitouch driver handles USB devices, not I2C. The code at
> > drivers/hid/hid-multitouch.c shows a few supported USB_VENDOR_ID_SYNAPTICS
> > (0x06cb) devices, but the 0x7a13 device ID does not appear there as of
> > v4.15-rc6. Maybe your kernel is patched to add support for that device.
> >
> > I guess that i2c_designware appears on the device hierarchy because the
> > "smart" USB hub on your system is controlled over the I2C bus.
> >
> >> when you say that the touchpad driver handles the irq stuff... i am a
> >> little confused because i2c-designware-platdrv.c contains this line:
> >> irq = platform_get_irq(pdev, 0);
> >
> > Do you have an indication that irq 17 belongs to i2c-designware?
> >
> > The i2c-designware driver uses an interrupt to handle its hardware buffer, and
> > to receive transactions status. I2C is a slow protocol, so most controller
> > implementations are asynchronous. If this irq misbehaves, then there is most
> > likely a problem with the i2c-designware driver.
> >
> >> i would assume that hid_multitouch would contain irq related code if i am
> >> understanding you correctly?
> >> am i misunderstanding?
> >
> > Since hid-multitouch is a USB driver, the irq handle itself is in the USB bus
> > driver.
>
> uname -rv:
> 4.15.0-rc5-00248-gf39d7d78b70e #2 SMP Sun Dec 31 18:17:25 CST 2017
>
> the git commit i am at is f39d7d78b70e0f39facb1e4fab77ad3df5c52a35
>
> > Do you have an indication that irq 17 belongs to i2c-designware?
> from /proc/interrupts:
>   17:   47105193          0          0          0          0
> 0          0          0  IR-IO-APIC   17-fasteoi   idma64.1,
> i2c_designware.1
>
> if i rmmod idma64, the behavior remains the same, so im assuming this
> is all i2c_designware thats causing this problem.
>
> > then there is most likely a problem with the i2c-designware driver.
> do you have any idea what the problem might be? i know i should look
> in the code for i2c-designware, but why would a touchpad be shooting
> off interrupts like that with my finger simply resting on it?

It is not the touchpad that shoots the interrupts. It is the i2c-designware
hardware module.

> i have a theory, could you tell me if this makes sense?
> perhaps the touchpad hardware is configured with a very high
> sensitivity. so in theory if the sensitivity was decreased, then
> resting my finger would not trigger interrupts until i move it a
> larger amount?

I don't think that the touchpad sensitivity has anything to do with this
interrupts storm.

There is another possibility. The USB hub controller driver might be shooting
i2c transactions at the USB hub. In this case the bug is not in the i2c master
driver.

Can you identify the driver that initiates the i2c transactions?

baruch

   - baruch@xxxxxxxxxx - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -