Re: edt-ft5x06 question

Hi Simon,

Il 17/11/2017 20:13, Simon Budig ha scritto:
> [Trimming down the CC list a bit...]

Thanks

> Hi all.
>> On Fri, 2017-11-17 at 18:16 +0100, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
>> What about all the other registers? The datasheet lists a few dozen,
>> not only 0x80. Are they implemented in the panel you are working on?
>>
>>> The point is that datasheet seems to be official by Focaltech,
>>> like if they deliver that IC with a standard FW inside.
>>> I can't find a way to safely probe if it's a standard FW or from
>>> EDT M09
>>> or M06.
>>
>> Since everything is based on the programmed firmware, and there's no
>> "standard" way to detect firmware version, every firmware detection
>> is
>> bound to be a hack. But there's no better way I'm afraid. Thus device
>> tree seems the only reliable way...
>>
>> However, did you check registers FIRMID, FT5201ID (CTPM Vendor ID)
>> and ID_G_LIB_VERSION_H/L? According to their name they might hold
>> interesting info.
> When I tried to read them from a solomon/goldentek display/touch I did
> get unreliable data, i.e. I got different values when I had a power
> cycle inbetween the startups.
> Basically the firwmare did not implement these registers on the i2c
> registers and I believe I got whatever happened to sit in the RAM at
> that point. And that was the point where I gave up on trying to
> determine the vendor and product, unless I knew where to look for it
> (mainly the EDT family of touches).
> And that dubiousness extended to the other registers. At some point I
> had arbitrary register access via sysfs, but I did not actually bother
> to determine if they had any effect or provided useful values.
> Trying to communicate with representatives from Solomon Goldentek (in
> this case) proved to be incredibly frustrating, because they did not
> even understand what I was asking for. You don't get a datasheet
> describing the actual firmware in the chip, it always is the same
> focaltec datasheet that seems to consist of a lot of wishful thinking.
> Sometimes you get a linux driver that might even implement a firmware
> update method, but the quality of the code typically is not that great.
> Fortunately the "Generic" method implemented in the patch I referred to
> earlier seems to work reasonably well for the Displays I have at hand.
> You can configure the max. resolution via devicetree and that gets you
> 95% of the way.
> I would not mind additional properties in the devicetree for certain
> quirks of specific devices (but encoding the vendor of the touch seems
> beyond the point to me).

What seems clear to me is that datasheet I’ve pointed out is the basic firmware by focaltech.
And it’s compatible with M09 style.
But...

> As for frequent recalibration I am not so
> sure, but then I've not yet seen a touch device where this has to be
> done.

We’ve experienced this in every product we have done and we sell.
At this time there are 3k pcs out with recalibration on 3 different machines, that otherwise did not work properly.
I mean touch behind 4mm of glass or plexiglass.

At this point, since I need all the other registers only because of that, I would proceed on writing a different driver specific for focaltech standard firmware as their official datasheet states.

Something like ft-ft5x.c, without making edt-ft5x.c more complicated, in fact what I suggest is specific to focaltech standard firmware only and is not applicable to edt or other specific firmware.

What do you think?

Regards

--
Giulio Benetti
R&D Manager &

MICRONOVA SRL
Sede: Via A. Niedda 3 - 35010 Vigonza (PD)
Tel. 049/8931563 - Fax 049/8931346
Cod.Fiscale - P.IVA 02663420285
Capitale Sociale € 26.000 i.v.
Iscritta al Reg. Imprese di Padova N. 02663420285
Numero R.E.A. 258642