Re: Dell XPS 13 Fn key bug?

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 08:47:48AM -0800, thus spake Dmitry Torokhov:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 09:40:33AM +0100, Ignacy Gawędzki wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 04:16:13PM -0800, thus spake Dmitry Torokhov:
> > > OK, so 'cd' is scancode for KEY_RIGHT and 'cf' is scancode for
> > > KEY_END, and it seems that implementation of FN handling is very naive
> > > as it emits "release" keycodes for the state FN is currently in, not
> > > the state it was when key was pressed.
> > >
> > > Ideally Dell would fix that. Mario, any chance of that?
> >
> > I'm just wondering whether this is still something that could be fixed
> > or worked around in the input driver,
>
> Well, obviously I'd rather fix the bug at its root rather than piling
> workarounds in the driver.

Sure, but supposing that the BIOS has to be fixed, I don't expect Dell
to release a fix for a model that's about five years old.  Unless
there's a good soul out there reading this and able to do anything
about it.

> > since the bug obviously doesn't
> > show up in neither in the linux console nor in Windows.
>
> So where does it not work in Linux? Because keyboard driver in console
> and elsewhere is the same. Maybe it is not noticeable when in text
> console?

The bug appears only in X11.  Not in the console, although autorepeat
is active there too.

> In Windows the bug might be masked if they use hardware autorepeat for
> PS/2 keyboards. I don't know if they do or not.

I have no idea either.

--
To err is human, to purr feline.