Re: Method to power off HID device from driver?

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 1:47 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-01-19 at 10:07 -0800, Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > "HID packets" isn't a hardware transport.
>>
>> My reply was a little too quick. The devices we like this capability
>> for are Bluetooth and USB based, so for Bluetooth we care about uhid
>> /
>> bt-hidp and for USB usb-hid.
>
> What's the use case for USB based devices? Is this to "switch off" pads
> like on XBox and Playstation consoles? I'm pretty sure the devices are
> still on. Do you expect an unplug/replug to be necessary for USB
> devices?

The main use case for USB devices is the PlayStation dongle which is a
device which can be used to use a DS4 on a PC. Behind the scenes a USB
to Bluetooth bridge, but it hides the Bluetooth from the OS. The
dongle would always be on, but a way is needed to disconnect the DS4
from it else the battery would drain. I don't intend to turn off the
dongle itself or a USB connected DS4, I suspect that's already doable
somehow through USB sysfs nodes nor do I know of a HID method to
disconnect the device in those cases.