Re: Method to power off HID device from driver?

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Cameron Gutman <aicommander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On Dec 6, 2016, at 4:25 PM, Roderick Colenbrander <roderick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I looked a bit deeper and found EV_PWR, though it isn't clearly
>> defined, but it is used in some places for purposes like this. Would
>> this be an acceptable method?
>>

> I am interested in this too. I recently implemented the ability to
> turn off wireless Xbox 360 controllers in [0], but there is no way
> to activate this functionality without suspending the whole system.
> Some folks [1] have asked for this ability in other scenarios.
>
> [0]: Commit f712a5a05228058f6b74 ("Input: xpad - power off wireless
>                                    360 controllers on suspend")
> [1]: https://github.com/paroj/xpad/issues/52
>
>> Thanks,
>> Roderick
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Roderick Colenbrander
>> <roderick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Some of the devices I'm dealing with have methods to disconnect the
>>> device through HID reports. This is mostly useful for wireless devices
>>> to save battery and power them off e.g. when no activity in a wihle or
>>> user wants to turn device off (some devices don't have a power off
>>> button).
>>>
>>> I was trying to figure out if it there is some generic way without
>>> inventing a driver specific method. So far I haven't found anything on
>>> the HID side. The use case is not that common often a user would
>>> unplug a cable, but for some devices there is no real other way.
>>>
>>> The closest thing I found was 'poweroff' as supported by device power
>>> management spec:
>>> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/devices.txt. The HID
>>> drivers only support a subset of this so far.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a good suggestion for handling this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Roderick
>>

>> --
>> Roderick Colenbrander
>> Senior Manager of Software Engineering
>> Gaikai, a Sony Interactive Entertainment Company
>> roderick@xxxxxxxxxx
>> --

Great, I was actually about to look at the xpad driver, because I saw
the auto_poweroff. The poweroff functionality you desire for xpad is
the same as I need as well.

I'm doing some more digging in the best way of handling this, but not
much luck. The best lead I have is the 'input_dev_poweroff' call in
drivers/input/input.c. I wonder if this call should get a callback,
which drivers can optionally provide to do a poweroff. So far I'm not
exactly sure how this poweroff is triggered and whether it is the
appropriate thing to hook into.

Any suggestions welcome :)