Re: Logitech Precision Gamepad shows axis activity upon connection

On Tue, September 13, 2016 2:26 am, Eddie Stanley wrote:
> SUMMARY:
> Logitech Precision Gamepad shows axis activity upon connection

> When I connect my Logitech Precision Gamepad (or the machine starts up
> with it connected) it exhibits activity on both axes until I press a
> button/press the d-pad.

Hi Eddie,
No solution(s) for you but what I think you are seeing is default values
in the HID system, until the device actually sends some data. Don't know
if you can prompt it to send a frame to get sync'ed.

BTW the incoming frames can be seen on the 'hidraw' device with something
like (adjust '8' to number of bytes your device sends).
--
root@retrobox:/home/simon# hexdump -v -e '8/1 "%02x " "\n"' < /dev/hidraw0
08 00 00 5e 8a 32 cd 99

> Note - I'm not sure whether the d-pad should be classified as a pair of
> axes or a pair of hats - it is a digital d-pad though, *not* analog.

There has always been debate on this, it boils down to how the device is
described in the HID descriptor. Either a HAT (with null position) or a
D-PAD. Linux treats HATs 2 axis joystick.

You can use 'hidrd' to decode the descriptor (from
'/sys/bus/hid/devices/<device>/descriptor') to confirm what it reports.

I have a Logitech game pad which does the same, the HID descriptor contains
--
Logical Maximum (7),
Physical Maximum (315),

A possible work around is described here:
http://hans.fugal.net/blog/2007/06/02/joystick-hat-in-x-plane-in-linux/

Cheers,
Simon.