What's the difference between hid_hw_output_report and hid_hw_raw_request?

Hello,

I want to enable the rumble motors on a PS4 controller using libusb.

The kernel code calls different functions depending on whether USB or Bluetooth is used:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/hid/hid-sony.c#L1901
This difference does not exist in the code for the PS3 controller.

So why is this difference in the kernel driver? What do I have to do to emulate "hid_hw_output_report" using libusb?

Thanks in advance.

Manuel

My current code, which does *not* work, follows. I also tried to not send the report ID as first byte in the command sequence, but this doesn't work either. The data seems to get sent without any problems, but the controller doesn't react in any way.

 uint8_t cmd[] = {
    0x05,
    0xFF, 0x00, 0x00, right, left,  // rumble values
0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0x00, 0x00, // Red, Green, Blue, TimeBright, TimeDark
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
    0x00
  };

  return libusb_control_transfer(usbdev,
LIBUSB_ENDPOINT_OUT | LIBUSB_REQUEST_TYPE_CLASS | LIBUSB_RECIPIENT_INTERFACE,
                        HID_REQ_SET_REPORT,
                        (HID_OUTPUT_REPORT<<8)|0x05,
                        0,
                        cmd,