Re: Handling of non-positional data through evdev

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Clément VUCHENER
> <clement.vuchener@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I am writing a user-space driver for the steam controller and I was
>> wondering how that would fit. The steam controller reports its
>> absolute gyro data as a quaternion instead of three angles. Although,
>> in the case of the steam controller, this data is meant to emulate
>> other kind of devices from the driver, if applications started to use
>> such an interface, it would be nice that the steam controller supports
>> it.
>>

>>> Thanks
>>> David
>
> I haven't with the SteamController yet. Based on iFixit it has a
> 3-axis gyro and 3-axis accelerometer. I guess the microcontroller
> could be doing the quaternion calculations. Are you sure it is gyro
> data and not maybe orientation data derived from gyro + accel? Try
> spinning it around an axis and integrate the output in a script
> (provided you knew the resolution in units per deg/s or rad/s).

Yes, it is derived from gyro + accel. I did not read David's
documentation correctly and I thought that ABS_GYRO_* was the absolute
position (in rad or deg) but it is the speed (in deg/s). The speed
data is also sent in the report although the quaternion is easier to
use thanks to the calibration and integration done on the hardware.