Re: MOUSE_PS2_VMMOUSE and input/mice

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 09:10:11PM +0200, Lauri Kasanen wrote:

> > > TinyCore sends their regards, and tells they will consider evdev when
> > > Xorg + evdev + paraphelia can total less than 650kb.
> >
> > I do not think you are doing your users any favors by limiting them to
> > PS/2 emulation. For desktops, unless they only use basic mice mousedev
> > emulation does not work well for neither touchpads, nor tablets, nor
> > touchscreens.  And for appliances you do not need mouse at all. Maybe if
> > you targeting kiosks with limited UI it will work for a bit. I wonder
> > how long Xorg will be keeping lights on for mouse_drv.
> >
> > I am tempted to deprecate mousedev and maybe joydev as well. They were
> > supposed to fill the gap between then current applications and kernel,
> > but that was 10+ years ago.
>
> Hi,
>
> It's a choice we leave up to the users. The majority uses normal
> desktops with normal mice, touch screens and tablets tend to be a
> rarity in our userbase. So we can serve the majority without the bloat
> of Xorg, but those who need it can install it.

So people who do not need Xorg do not need the mouse either, right? I am
still confused who your target user base is.

> That's why I was asking for a runtime way - the default should work,
> but so should VMWare's nicer mouse integration when Xorg is installed.
> That concern was resolved with the statement the older support is not
> being considered for removal. The original issue will be solved by
> disabling VMMOUSE in our kernel.

I guess you can disable this (bit then you need to carry Xorg vmmouse
driver), but then you'll still have to pay the piper once Xorg drops
root support and X vmmouse driver will not be able to access the
hypervisor port.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry