Re: DESIGN: Logitech G710+ keyboard driver

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 01:47:14AM -0600, Jimmy Berry wrote:
> There are a variety of Logitech G-series out-of-tree keyboard drivers and a
> number of discussions on the linux-input list regarding merging the drivers. The
> end result appears to be stagnation. I notice the recent addition of a driver
> for the Corsair Vengeance K90 Keyboard (hid-corsair.c) which seems to have a
> similar feature set.
>
> Some of the previous mailing list discussions mentioned splitting up the
> Logitech drivers by feature instead of device.
>
> > - base input driver handling the "dead" keys
> > - adding LEDs
> > - adding LCD fb/backlight
> > - adding other goodies
>
> Additionally, there was a driver for the G710+ keyboard developed separately
> from the other G-series drivers that was submitted to the list, but it appears
> no response was given.
>
> I am looking to refactor and submit that G710+ driver and submit. Given the
> common base of "extra" features provided by various niche keyboards it seems
> reasonable to consider supporting them using a common set of code, but having
> only looked at hid-corsair.c and the G710+ code in detail I cannot be certain of
> the extent to which the "extra" features are implemented similarly.
I am CCing Marty Plummer who wanted to write a G107 driver. I had a quick look at your driver and I think the protocols are similar (HID report 3 with a two byte bit-field reporting the special keys, if I understood correctly).

> With that in mind the corsair driver provides a good reference implementation
> with a number of things that should be improved in the G710+ driver.
>
> Looking at the existing Logitech hid code I see the following:
>
> - hid-lg2ff
> - hid-lg3ff
> - hid-lg4ff
> - hid-lgff
> - hid-lg
> - hid-logitech-dj
> - hid-logitech-hidpp
>
> Everything seems unrelated to keyboards except DINOVO* devices, but they appear
> to be an unrelated class of keyboard. As such it seems likely a new file would
> be the best route forward. The "logitech" spelled out seems to be the newer
> choice so perhaps hid-logitech-keyboard or similar?
>
> Would it be preferable to try and extract out the common features, if feasible,
> from the existing corsair driver into a common file that can be shared by the
> new G710+ and eventually other G-series keyboards,
I don't think there is much you can extract from the corsair driver, it only remaps corsair usages to keys.
> or just build the G710+
> driver in a similar manor to corsair and submit?
I would not mind some standard key codes for those keys. Note that the Corsair K90 has 18 G-keys and there is not much room below 256 for that and key codes above 256 don't work with X11. I can work around that using lirc but I cannot use xmodmap for the K90 like you do.
> Perhaps refactoring if desired
> at a later point.
>
> The extra keys + modifiers/profiles can be implemented in a variety of ways, but
> it is unclear which is best. I would appreciate some input.
>
> Both keyboards provide extra keys (G1-N) and modifiers/profiles (M1-3). The M
> keys act as modifiers to the G keys or profiles in that they can change the
> behavior of the G keys. The corsair driver exposes each of the G and M keys and
> keeps track of the active profile exposed through sysfs current_profile. While
> this works the approach is dependent on user-space for mapping G keys + a
> profile to a specific action. Existing key mapping applications do not have the
> concept of a profile. What seems like a better implementation would be to think
> of the M keys as modifiers and issue both events when a G key event is
> triggered. This is how I modified the existing G710+ driver to operate.
>
> The following is an example simulation:
>
> M1 pressed
> - emit M1 down
> - emit M1 up
> G1 pressed
> - emit M1 down (could emit modifier like ctrl)
> - emit G1 down
> - emit G2 up
> - emit M1 up   (could emit modifier like ctrl)
I am not sure about that. It means adding key events not tied to physical key presses. Actually the M keys behave more like the "lock" keys than modifiers.

> The driver keeps track of the active modifier/profile (which is still be exposed
> va sysfs), but it also simulates the modifier keys being pressed with the G
> keys. The concept is not too dissimilar from sticky keys except that the
> modifier keys are not required to be pressed before each G key. Instead the M
> keys may be pressed once and remain active until another M key is pressed.
>
> With the following implementation I mapped the M keys to modifiers using xmodmap
> which resulted in key mapping applications picking up the G keys with respect to
> the active profile. Presumably the mapping could also be in the driver instead
> of using xmodmap if desired (seems like a better solution).
>
> Perhaps emitting proper modifier keys when G keys are pressed and unique codes
> when M keys are pressed so user-space could still distinguish them.
>
> Without the above technique nor a user-space application that understands
> profiles the full functionality of the keyboards are not usable since there is
> effectively only a one usable profile.
I have been using the user-space application in order to start commands. In that case, I could test the value of the sysfs attribute and issue different commands depending on that. For generating key sequences, I prefer to use the hardware macros, but I am not sure if your keyboard can do that.

I think it would be best to have an user-space application that understand profiles. We would still need a common interface for exposing the current profile. I don't know if it should be a sysfs attribute or something readable from the event node, I am too new to Linux input subsystem.