Re: [Toshiba Satellite P855-S5102] SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad Dead

Dmitry,
Many thanks for your questions. With factory installed Windows 8,
TouchPad works. However, I run Ubuntu and have never had working
TouchPad with Ubuntu (from 3.13 kernel now up to 4.2).

Is there a way to check if my TouchPad key is ON/OFF?

Solutions I have tried unsuccessfully:

    Keypad solutions:
        F5
        Fn+F5
        pressing NumLock repeatedly during boot
    Modprobe solutions:
        sudo modprobe -r psmouse && sudo modprobe psmouse
        sudo modprobe -r psmouse && sudo modprobe psmouse proto=imps
        sudo modprobe -r psmouse && sudo modprobe psmouse proto=exps
    Kernel solutions (append to grub at end of quiet splash line):
        atkbd.reset i8042.nomux
        i8042.nopnp
        i8042.reset=1
    Missing Package solutions:
        sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
        sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings

I believe it is for these reasons that I was referred to kernel listserv.

If you have other thoughts or need more information, please let me know!
jtd

Dmitry Torokhov: