Re: PROBLEM: Missing events on thinkpad trackpoint buttons

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
<dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 12:24:59AM +0200, Gabor Balla wrote:
>> Hi Dmitry,
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 11:35 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
>> <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 10:50:27PM +0200, Gabor Balla wrote:
>> [...]
>> [...]
>> [...]
>> >
>> > It looks like the patch "direction" is reverted. Also, the presence of
>> > extended capabilities is not the indication that gesture mode should not
>> > be used: in relative mode bit 2 disables gesture reporting, in absolute
>> > mode it enables Extended W-mode.
>> >
>> > Does the patch below also work for you?
>>
>> If I'm not mistaken, the function of bit 2 depends on the state of W mode rather
>> than absolute vs relative mode. From page 40 of the PDF:
>>
>> "If the Wmode bit is not set (0), then Gesture is reported and bit 2 refers to
>> DisGest. (..) When this bit is 1, the Relative mode mouse packet reports the
>> true physical button states, and the Absolute mode packet’s Gesture bit always
>> reports as zero."
>>
>> So it still has a meaning in absolute mode, when Wmode is disabled.
>> I've tried the patch, it works, but I don't believe it's correct.
>
> Yes, you are right, the bot does have meaning on Absolute mode, however
> we want to give option to enable gestures only when in relative mode;
> I've adjusted the description accordingly.

Ah, wait, not quite still. So we actually do want to disable gestures
when in Absolute mode (non extended). Although frankly I do not think
we'll ever see pre 4.0 Synaptics device in a wild.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry