Re: PROBLEM: Missing events on thinkpad trackpoint buttons

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
<dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 09:52:00AM -0400, Benjamin Tissoires wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Benjamin Tissoires
>> <benjamin.tissoires@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi Nick,
>> >
>> > thanks for the report.

>> > OK, so this is definitively weird. My first idea would be a firmware
>> > problem. I have asked Chandler to reproduce it on his t450 and see if
>> > we observe it on our laptops too.
>>
>> Update on this one : Chandler reproduced it on the t450, so it's
>> likely that all of these sensors are affected. It is still unclear if
>> it is a firmware bug or a driver problem, but the chances are huge
>> that this is a firmware bug. Anyway, that's one more reason to push
>> towards RMI4 over SMBus for these sensors: the bug is not present with
>> this protocol :)
>
> By the way, how are we going to handle Trackpoint (PS/2 device) with
> touchpads in RMI4 mode? I do not recall anything in RMI4 spec, but I
> looked at it quite some time ago.

Yes, there is nothing public in the spec for the RMI4 PS/2
pass-through mode. With a little help of Synaptics, Chandler
implemented it (it's function 03):
https://github.com/bentiss/linux/commit/b0cea92f56db9fc521a3ffaad534d91ef33466c8

This might not be the last version I have on my laptop, but it should
be close enough (if you also add the reporting of the extra buttons
that are sent through the GPIO function - 30).

Basically, I am running this code on a day to day basis, and we have
spotted most of the bugs now I think. It is stable and works better
than the PS/2 implementation because we don't have the bugs inherent
to the "report 2 slots but 5 actually".

Cheers,
Benjamin

PS: looks like Chandler beat me at answering