Re: proposal for deletion of drivers/hid/hid-ids.h

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> I would like to kill drivers/hid/hid-ids.h and replace it
> with numerical IDs in the files using it.
>
> There are two reasons for that.
>
> 1. It is a layering violation. There should not be a private
> data base for USB IDs in HID.

Not really; it's not limited to USB IDs.

> 2. It serves no purpose and adds work. Anyone who adds a quirk or a
> special case for devices needs to operate on the numbers, as those are
> what he gets from the descriptors. Looking up or adding a symbolic name
> for a device is just more work without a benefit. These numbers have no
> intrinsic meaning beyond being unique and it rarely matters (and should
> not matter) for which vendor a particular fix is intended.
>
> In the rare cases it does matter when it does matter searching the
> official list of USB IDs is less work.
>
> So let's kill this utterly useless step of indirection.

I know that there are some really useless cases (e.g. the ones which don't
add any extra information, and just do "VENDOR_<PID>" to construct the
string). But I personally like to see at least the vendor IDs as a string,
so that I am immediately identify behavior for particular vendors when
looking at the code.

I am not *forcing* everybody to add entry to hid-ids.h for each and every
quirk he is adding, but I guess I'd rather insist to have at least vendor
IDs there.

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina