Re: Input: atmel_mxt_ts - status of the for-dtor branch and sscanf issue

On 19/01/15 13:08, Dirk Behme wrote:
> we have two questions regarding the atmel_mxt_ts driver:
>
> First, what's the status of your github 'for-dtor' branch [1]? Is this
> subject to change? Or how stable is it? Will it go into mainline, soon?
>
> We've tested the patches in that branch on top of the mainline ~v3.18
> atmel_mxt_ts patches and they improve the driver a lot. So we'd like to
> pick that patches into our internal development tree.

for-dtor is a set of patches that I have waiting to go upstream. I'm trying
to feed them into mainline, but it's a slow process unfortunately. Any
feedback/review of these patches is greatly appreciated.

It does get rebased frequently, for instance to re-order the patches or to
take account of upstream review, so I would suggest not pulling it into
your tree. I do however keep some backported branches (maxtouch-v3.x) at
https://github.com/atmel-maxtouch/linux/ against various kernel versions
which aren't ever rebased, which you should be able to pull from.

> Second, with that branch, doing a config file download, we sometimes
> randomly get
>
> atmel_mxt_ts 2-004a: Bad format: failed to parse object
> atmel_mxt_ts 2-004a: Error -22 updating config
>
> at the end of the parsing, depending on the byte following the
> firmware/config file in memory. Our config file does have CR/LF endings.
> The sscanf() returns "1" in that case.
>
> A quick hack solution to that is skipping the last two bytes [2]. What do
> you think?

I'm not convinced it's the right solution. I suspect the root cause is that
the FW loader doesn't null-terminate the buffer we are handed from
user-space, so sscanf runs on past the end sometimes. So I think we need to
do something like this (from the chromiumos fork of this driver):

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/kernel/+/chromeos-3.14/drivers/input/touchscreen/atmel_mxt_ts.c#2251