ThinkPad X300 touchpad

Dear kernel Developers,

I am trying to get working the touchpad of my ThinkPad X300. Googling
for "thinkpad x300 touchpad alps" gives a number of results from
forums.lenovo.com where people state it is an ALPS touchpad.

I use Arch Linux, kernel version 3.14.4-1, and it is recognized as
PS/2 Generic Mouse.

I have tried everything I found on forums with a reasonable research
effort, without success.

Interestingly, however, at some point (unfortunately, I don't remember
which setup it was with, but I am pretty sure it was when I tried the
patch available at https://github.com/he1per/psmouse-dkms-alpsv7) I
managed to recognize the touchpad as PS/2 ALPS DualPoint Touchpad, or
something similar (unfortunately I didn't take a note of it), then I
changed things in my 50-synaptics.conf, rebooted, and the touchpad was
detected as PS/2 Generic Mouse again! As far as I understand things,
this shouldn't happen!

I saw others reporting that the touchpad works for them under Linux --
for example, here:

https://github.com/tsgates/arch-wiki-markdown/blob/master/wiki/Lenovo_Thinkpad_X300.md

So, I guess there must be a solution, and I would be so happy if you
guys could help me finding it.

Thank you in advance,

Tamás