Re: Fixing 0eef:0001 (eGalax) driver binding

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 02:27:01PM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> 3. Some devices with class HID, protocol None work fine with usbtouchscreen,
>    which is where they are currently bound.  Okay!
>
>    Some of these also work with usbhid (using quirks=0x20000048 to prevent it
>    from being ignored).  All of the ones I have here are like this.  I'm not
>    sure if there is a reason to prefer one driver over the other (dual touch?).
>
>    Others reportedly do *not* work with usbhid (this is Max):
>
>    https://lkml.org/lkml/2009/1/25/127
>
> 4. Some devices with class HID, protocol None do *not* work with usbtouchscreen,
>    which is where they are currently bound.  No bueno.  Here's one (this is
>    Sebastian):
>
>    http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.input/31710
>
>    I suspect these are all multitouch devices, but I am not sure.
>
> So we need to figure out the device driver mapping that supports the most
> devices (or regresses the fewest, although I think we've messed this up enough
> for that to be a secondary concern).
>

> What I'm hoping is that the report in #3 that led to class HID, protocol None
> devices being bound to usbtouchscreen is no longer accurate and these devices
> work fine with current usbhid.
>
> Max, can you test this for us?  I.e. does your touch screen work with current
> usbhid using quirks=0x20000048?  The following modprobe snippet might be
> helpful:
>
> options usbhid quirks=0x0eef:0x0001:0x40000048
> install usbtouchscreen /bin/false
>
> If Max's touch screen works with current usbhid, I think we can drop the special
> case that binds it to usbtouchscreen and we're done!  If not, things will be
> more complicated (e.g. we may have to consider whether a device is multitouch to
> decide if we should bind usbhid or usbtouchscreen).

Max reported to me off-list that he no longer has his touch screen, so this
testing most likely will not be taking place.

Unless someone can identify an EETI/eGalax touch screen with class HID, protocol
None that does not work with current usbhid, I propose we bind these to usbhid
instead of usbtouchscreen and see if anything breaks.  This will fix one
regression (Sebastian's) at the risk of re-introducing another one (Max's).  But
I think we'll actually end up with both problems fixed.

I think I could also argue that if we're going to break a device, it should be
the one that says it's HID but isn't, not the one that actually is what it says
it is.  Hopefully it won't come down to that. ;)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Forest
--