Re: HID input dealing with multiple collections?

HI Benjamin,
You can still try to use my backport available here:
https://github.com/bentiss/hid-multitouch
Great - thanks for that!  It may be a solution.

it _should_ work on a 3.2. You only have to add your VID/PID in
hid-multitouch to make it work.

Unfortunately not. It seems that writes on the device to the interrupt endpoint never complete; I haven't had the USB analyzer on this yet, but I suspect that the host running kernel 3.2 is not polling the endpoint.

I did upgrade my Mint13 box to Ubuntu's latest kernel 3.11; and the multitouch support looks pretty good. It worked out of the box. However, the mouse channel support isn't working - if I cat /dev/mouse1 or /dev/mouse2 I see no data coming over when I report mouse events from my device.

   I will, however, install a more modern kernel to test against; esp. since
I note your HID-replay tool requires 3.6 to test with.
well, it requires the module uhid, which is available in 3.6, but also
in my backport :)
run "modprobe uhid_compat" and run hid-replay against the
/dev/hidraw-compatN device.

Anyway, if this is too much of a pain, just send me the report
descriptor in hexadecimal (and some hexadecimal captures of your
events), I'll do the formatting myself.
Let me check if I can do this; I may get permission to open up the descriptors too.

   Would the correct approach here be to implement a composite USB device and
have separate USB interfaces for mouse, touch and pen for compatibility with
older kernel revisions?
I would say no because I don't know what would be the behavior of
Windows. But if you don't care about Windows and if this solution
works, it's entirely up to you.

I may have to resort to that approach. I believe Microsoft added the mouse top level collection to support windows xp; so it may also just work out of the box if a separate mouse appears on the same interface.

Cheers,

-Brett