Re: [BUG?] EV_LED events not seperated from other events by SYN_REPORT

Hi Rolf,

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 04:41:11PM +0200, Rolf Morel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having some trouble with how device LED switches are being
> presented in the, userspace API, event stream.
>
> If a program sets the LED using the evdev interface, write EV_LED
> input_event to device, other programs connected to the device will
> have the event in their stream, as expected. The problem is the
> received EV_LED events are not separated in time, as in moment in
> time. It does not generate a separate SYN_REPORT to make the EV_LED
> event a separate event in time.
>
> I have only two devices which have this functionality, set LED state
> through evdev, to test and they both are 3Dconnexion devices. They
> both exhibit the same behavior.
>
> So my questions are:
> Is this considered a bug (/should it be filed as a bug)?
> Does the fault lie in the input-subsystem or a more specific driver?

We have 2 options:

- emit EV_SYN from evedev_write() for every even written or
- require application writing events into /dev/eventX write EV_SYN as
  well.

At the moment I am inclined to say that applications shoudl do this.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry