Re: [RFC 6/8] HID: uhid: use generic hidinput_input_event()

Hi

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM,  <rydberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>> HID core provides the same functionality and can convert the input event
>> to a raw output report. We can thus drop UHID_OUTPUT_EV and rely on the
>> mandatory UHID_OUTPUT.
>>
>> User-space wasn't able to do anything with UHID_OUTPUT_EV, anyway. They
>> don't have access to the report fields.
>
> I like your patchset overall, but this looks like userspace breakage?

Not really. UHID_OUTPUT_EV provides input_event data to user-space,
which user-space converts into raw output events. With this patch, we
do the conversion in the kernel itself and just send the raw output
event (which user-space supported even before this).

This breaks user-space only if the conversion was done differently in
user-space. But this sounds highly unlikely to me. All uhid
applications I am aware of ignored UHID_OUTPUT_EV so far as they don't
have any report-information. So we actually *fix* all available users
with that.

If there is an uhid user I am not aware of, we can easily revert that.
I doubt that, though.

Cheers
David