Re: Possible regression 3.8.7 -> 3.9 with Dell touchpad

From: Dmitry Torokhov Sent: 05/10/13 12:54 AM

> On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 10:59:58PM +0200, Tibor Billes wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found that after upgrading my kernel from 3.8.7 to 3.9 my touchpad only
> > works partly. By that I mean I can use the touchpad to move the cursor
> > around, but I cannot click with it by tapping.
>
> Is the touchpad recognized as ALPS or PS/2 mouse in 3.8.7? Also, can you
> check that touchpad tapping is enabled in your desktop environment?

In 3.8.7 it is recognized as PS/2 mouse and the desktop environment doesn't even offer any touchpad settings. In 3.9.1 the touchpad is recognized as 'AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad' and yes, the touchpad settings appeared, and yes, clicking was disabled. Enabled it, works like a charm :)

So what happened is that the 3.8.7 kernel did not recognize my touchpad, so it fell back to PS/2 which worked well for me. The 3.9 kernel recongizes my touchpad correctly because Kevin updated the driver, and my system started using a different configuration as it knew it was a touchpad and not some PS/2 device. Am I right? I recall looking for touchpad settings in one of the 3.8.x kernels and I didn't find any so I didn't bother looking for it again in 3.9...

In this case I'm sorry for the false report, and thank you guys for the driver update :)