[RFC] Should make Elo TouchSystems 2216 to use hid-multitouch ?

So I have got an Elo 7"  USB Touchscreen. With default generic-usb
driver, the touchscreen
reports both BTN event & ABS event.

evtest shows something like:

Input device ID: bus 0x3 vendor 0x4e7 product 0x50 version 0x100
Input device name: "EloTouchSystems,Inc Elo TouchSystems 2216 AccuTouch®
USB Touchmonitor Interface"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (EV_SYN)
  Event type 1 (EV_KEY)
    Event code 272 (BTN_LEFT)
  Event type 3 (EV_ABS)
    Event code 0 (ABS_X)
      Value   1831
      Min      184
      Max     3932
    Event code 1 (ABS_Y)
      Value   1898
      Min      184
      Max     3932
    Event code 40 (ABS_MISC)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max      256
  Event type 4 (EV_MSC)
    Event code 4 (MSC_SCAN)

When one touches the screen, BTN press event is sent, then ABS_X/Y events
are sent for finger move, and last BTN release event is sent for finger lift.

The way the device uses BTN/ABS events make the device functionality quite
confusing and limited -- It can only be used for point-to-click without special
handling in userspace.

So I am wondering if it is better to make this device to use
hid-multitouch driver
and add quirks for :
1) set maxcontact = 1 (the device can only track 1 finger)
2) convert ABS_X/ABS_Y to MT_ABS_X/Y
3) use BTN press/release to indicate touch down/release

The benefit for doing this in my opinion is more clear and multi-touch standard
complying events for userspace. And userspace multitouch library can naturally
use the multi-touch data to do like software based multi finger
tracking, tap-to-click,
scrolling and other gestures.