Re: wacom serial tablet support

Ping Cheng <pinglinux@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2013, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>> The driver looks quite reasonable, however that would be the 4th Wacom
>> driver in the tree... I wonder if it is time to split out transport
>> parts from core wacom functionality so that it can be shared by USB, I2C
>> and serio devices.

I agree, although I'm not sure how much common code there would actually
be between these devices.  However:

> As for Julian's patch, serial models are more than 10 years old. Last
> serial devices (Intuos2 series) were released in 2001. We stopped
> producing serial devices in 2004 (Intuos3 released then). Whether we
> should add EOL models to upstream is beyond my decision. But, my team
> won't have resources to maintain this driver, that is for sure.

This is the reason I wrote the driver in the first place -- the existing
Wacom driver developers dropped support for serial tablets, which some
people still use (I regularly get email about my driver from users).  I
am only asking to bring this into the mainline because I get asked about
it regularly -- most signicantly, the device needs a serio ID allocated
for it so that users don't have to play whack-a-mole with the IDs being
allocated in the kernel.

I'll take a look at what could be shared between the drivers this
weekend.

Cheers,

--
Julian Squires