Re: Why Cypress does not upstream its trackpad driver?

David,

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 03:09:36AM -0500, David Solda wrote:
> Dmitry,
>
> The change you are referring to is the one that I was mentioning.
>
> The "absolute mode" is the only mode of our module that produces
> multiple fingers.  We do not communicate relative position for more
> than one finger.  The 8 byte packet is only used in the Absolute Mode,
> you are right, however, this packet contains the necessary information
> for determining the position of 2 fingers on the Trackpad.  Hence the
> reason why I stated that a Firmware change (complete architectural and
> protocol rewrite) on our side would be need to comply with the 6 byte
> maximum limit.
>
> So, the only method that I have available right now to upstream
> something that wouldn't be rejected (as you stated below) is either an
> architectural overhaul (which I cannot launch at this time), or single
> finger position tracking only.
>
> Any other thoughts are appreciated, but the 8 bytes packet is needed
> for our multi-finger detection and communication scheme that is
> implemented.

First of all, please do not top-post.

I thought I was clear that if you need 8-byte packets just change size
in struct ps2dev to be 8 bytes instead of current 6 and as far as I can
see that will solve your problem. There is no need to change firmware,
re-architecture protocol or doing anything else.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry