Modifying keycodes or scancodes of keyboard devices

Hello,

I want to write a kernel module that hooks in somewhere between the keyboard driver and whatever
uses the resulting key events (e.g. evdev or xkb).

My goal is to modify the keycodes or scancodes (whatever works best and is least amount of work) reported to the next function in the input processing chain, with the intended result of
modifying the keyboard layout.

I could of course just use xkb and create a custom mapping, but my experience with those is that many applications have trouble with some mappings. One example is the neo-layout[1] which provides alternative mappings for the arrow keys or the navigation keys like pos1, end, return and the numblock, only activated when a certain modifier is active (e.g. AltGr). Many programs have trouble
when those alternatives are used.

My idea is to do that mapping on a level deeper than xkb can provide, thus avoiding those problems and faking a keyboard that has that layout in hardware, at least from the point of view of xkb.

I have no experience with kernel hacking, but I did some reading and.. well here is my idea:

There are the functions input_set_keycode[0] and input_get_keycode which sound like they do what I want to do. So I figured, I write a simple kernel module that just calls these functions with the mappings I want to do.

Trouble is, they also want a pointer to the device that this concerns.
That is of course a reasonable thing to require for that function, just that I have no idea where to get that from.

I couldn't find any function that would return me a list of the input devices.

I also saw input_grab_* and input_inject_* which sounds like it could also be used for my purpose .. but input_set_keycode seemed more reasonable ....

So my questions are:
* Is this approach feasible? Would it work?
* If yes, where to I get the struct input_dev* device, or a list of them, from?
* If no, what approach do you suggest?

    --Marenz

[0] http://kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/device-drivers/API-input-set-keycode.html
[1] http://neo-layout.org