Re: New Alps protocol in the wild?

Coming late the discussion, responses inline - Dave

On 07/27/2012 01:17 PM, Ben Gamari wrote:
Seth Forshee <seth.forshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:18:51PM -0400, Ben Gamari wrote:
Recently I took shipment of a Dell Latitude E6430 (supposedly
"certified" by Canonical). Sadly, out of the box the multitouch-capable
Alps Dualpoint mouse is detected as a generic PS/2 device (bug filed
here[1]). After a bit of poking around I figured out the signature
({0x73, 0x03, 0x0a}) and command_mode_resp (0x1d) of the device.

Based on the other recent Dell models listed in alps_model_data, I tried
configuring the device as a protocol v3 device. While in appearance the
driver succeeded in configuring the device, it was clear that it was
still operating in bare PS/2 mode (only bare PS/2 reports were received
and 0x04 register was read to be 0x00 --- assuming the register read
command is correct).  This is supported by Seth's alps-reg-dump tool[2],
which declares that the device is "Not a v3 ALPS touchpad".  Trying to
configure the device with protocol v4 resulted in the driver to fail
during configuration (failing to enter absolute mode).  Given this
evidence, it seems fairly clear that this device differs appreciably
from any device currently supported by alps.c.
That's likely. It's known that there's at least one ALPS protocol
version that isn't supported.

I suspected that was the case.
I have a Dell I15R N5110 running Ubuntu 12.04 with the same signature and behavior.

Vbox with sforshee patch running Vista shows only ps/2 packets. I hypothesized that the Vista driver didn't recognize the device either, but handled keyboard/touchpad event separation better.

I wrote a small serio_raw program to test the device. Alps command mode works, but the GETINFO response when entering command mode is: 0x73, 0x01, 0x0d, which fails the 0x88, 0x07 check in the alps.c code. Once in command mode, the v3 logic (PSMOUSE_CMD_RESET_WRAP) works and I get the register number and value back from PSMOUSE_CMD_GETINFO. v4 logic returns garbage.

I've tried to collect PS/2 traces from a Windows 7 installation running
under a patched Qemu[3]. Unfortunately, while Windows running on bare
hardware configures the device perfectly, an installation from the same
media seems to treat the device as a bare PS/2 device when running under
virtualization. The PS/2 trace produced clearly shows the driver probing
the device as an Intellimouse and failing that falls back to generic
PS/2 reports. Can anyone think of what might have changed between the bare
metal and the virtualized environment?
I'm thinking that when I was looking at the initialization from Windows
drivers it would first initialize it like a normal PS/2 mouse then later
the ALPS initialization would show up, almost like the default driver
ran through it's initialization first before the ALPS driver did. Did
you look further down in the logs to see if anything similar to the ALPS
initialization is happening later?

Sadly no. The driver comes with a configuration tool which when launched
appears to trigger a reconfiguration.

Otherwise I don't have any ideas off the top of my head. This approach
generally worked fine with the machines/drivers I worked with.

Hmmm, that is truly unfortunate. I guess given this I'll just have to
try piecing together a filter driver and collect the initialization
process on bare metal. Hopefully at that point I'll be able to do the
reversing of the data format over serio.
Yeah, unfortunate.  I may just use a usb mouse if it comes to that...

I would love to take a stab at reversing this protocol variant, but
the inability to get a trace from a virtualized working configuration is
a real blocker. I suppose I could try writing a Windows filter driver
but the virtualization approach seems orders of magnitude more
convenient. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

As a final note, I have read various places that ALPS had intended on
releasing a closed source driver for some of their devices. Has anything
happened on this front? Perhaps it would be easier to get a trace from a
closed-source driver running on Linux than a closed-source driver
running on Windows.
I've heard that such a driver exists, but I don't know where you can get
it. I _think_ some factory preinstalled Linux systems might ship with
it, so it's possible that it's something ALPS provides to its customers
but doesn't make publicly available.

Naturally. I never would have suspected that such a despicable company
could be found in making something as innocuous as touchpads. Sheesh.

Given the difficulty of the reverse engineering process and the
proliferation of incompatible hardware variants, it seems a major
customer really needs to step up and demand some sanity from these
people. My understanding is that Dell currently does not have access to
Alps specifications but given the volume they move it seems they are in
a fairly unique position to exert pressure. Being a Dell partner, has
Canonical taken any steps to start this dialogue?

On that note, Canonical's certification certificate for the E6430 is
currently incorrect. The desktop program guidelines clearly state that
vertical scroll is on the grey list yet, as far as I can tell, the
certificate makes no mention of the lacking support of the input
hardware of this model.

My I15R was certified also, and currently incorrect. I posted a query to Dell about Alps support but haven't heard anything back. I suspect Alps and Dell are wary of offending Microsoft.

Cheers,

- Ben